ABOUT THE EPISODE
I talk with Dr. Mohit Khera about testosterone. Dr. Khera lives in Houston, TX practices at Baylor and has dedicated his clinical and research efforts to three main areas: Men’s Health, sexual medicine, and hormone replacement therapy. His basic science and clinic experiences have allowed him to thus far give over 250 lectures at scientific meetings throughout the world, publish over 120 articles in peer-reviewed journals, complete 15 book chapters, and edit and write two books, all in the field of sexual medicine and Men’s Health.
HERE’S WHAT WE DISCUSS
- Why is testosterone so interesting to Dr. Khera?
- Testosterone and prostate cancer – what do we know.
- Is a lowering testosterone level in men “natural”? And if it isn’t, what causes low testosterone in men?
- What do the new weight loss drugs do to testosterone levels and male fertility?
- We discuss the different ways you can give testosterone to women: topical, pellets and compounded injectable doses of testosterone for women: 50mg/ml and start at 0.1 mg injected a week.
- The benefits of testosterone for women besides low libido.
- The role of chronic pain, testosterone, and pain meds.
- The mechanism of how your testosterone goes up when you lose body fat.
- The four pillars of health for natural testosterone production – diet, exercise, sleep, stress reduction
- Erectile dysfunction is a harbinger for heart attack and heart disease.
- “There is not a better barometer of a man’s overall health than his sexual health” – Dr. Khera
- The role of DHEA (a mild androgen made in the adrenals) in men and women.
- The link with Peyronies disease and Testosterone.
- We discuss penile stretching devices.
- We discuss a 2013 Finkelstein article – they gave men testosterone and blocked its conversion to estrogen. So are we under treating men by not addressing their estrogen?
- Dr. Khera was part of the NEJM study that came out this summer looking at testosterone in men with low testosterone and high risk CV risk. The Traverse Trial. Conclusions: In men with hypogonadism and preexisting or a high risk of cardiovascular disease, testosterone-replacement therapy was non-inferior to placebo with respect to the incidence of major adverse cardiac events.
- Barriers to a testosterone prescription include that it is a regulated medication, a physician needs a DEA license to prescribe it – similar to a narcotic.
- Dr. Khera lends his opinion to safely prescribing of testosterone but thinks the DEA regulation is here to stay.
- He clarifies the number of men who suffer from hypogonadism and the number of men who are undergoing treatment for this
- Testosterone levels are dropping because men are becoming less healthy. Dr. Khera talks about measuring a baseline
- testosterone level in men as a marker of overall health and focus on lifestyle changes to naturally get this normal.
- 50% of men don’t talk to their doctor about their erectile dysfunction, and 44% of those men don’t talk to their partner about it.
MORE ABOUT Dr. Khera
Dr. Khera lives in Houston, TX practices at Baylor and has dedicated his clinical and research efforts to three main areas: Men’s Health, sexual medicine, and hormone replacement therapy. His basic science and clinic experiences have allowed him to thus far give over 250 lectures at scientific meetings throughout the world, publish over 120 articles in peer-reviewed journals, complete 15 book chapters, and edit and write two books, all in the field of sexual medicine and Men’s Health.
Find Dr. Khera on Instagram, and check out his website
Did you like what you heard?Join my membership to get these episodes ASAP when they are created and without advertisement and even listen live to the interviews and episodes.
P.S. There’s a private Facebook community, guided workbooks, exclusive educational content, and so much more.
THE YOU ARE NOT BROKEN BOOK
Did you get the You Are Not Broken Book yet? Purchase it right here.
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS
Sprout Pharmaceuticals addyi.com/
Use code ‘NOTBROKEN’ to get your telemed doctor’s appointment for $10
See full Prescription Information, Med Guide & Boxed Warning for severe low blood pressure & fainting in certain settings: addyi.com/pi
UberLube for 10% off, use code NOTBROKEN at checkout