ABOUT THE EPISODE
I talk with Dr. Sonya Ephraim MD, FACOG, FPMRS, about prolapse.
HERE’S WHAT WE DISCUSS
- Why prolapse needs a rebranding – so much shame
- Risk factors for prolapse
- What are the signs and symptoms?
- Our tips for treating constipation
- Prolapse risk goes up after menopause – we discuss the likely role of hormones and decreased muscle strength.
- The impact of prolapse on those suffering
- Why we hate calling it “bladder prolapse”
- How the bladder can be affected by vaginal prolapse and what may and may not improve
- How do we know if we have prolapse
- How do we know if we should treat prolapse
- Risk of de novo stress urinary incontinence when prolapse is fixed, either with pessary or surgery
- What is a pessary, and what are the risks of a pessary?
- Can you be sexually active with prolapse?
- The role of pelvic floor physical therapy and prolapse.
- Surgical treatment options.
- One size does not fit all.
- Obliterative surgery – colpocliesis
- Hysteropexy vs. hysterectomy
- Minimally invasive options – suture or mesh based (sacrocolpopexy) procedures
- New treatment options (EnPlace) benefits and data
- The cervix as a sexual organ for some people and the consideration of cervix/uterine preservation in prolapse surgery.
- Modern prolapse repair is safe, effective and recovery is not too stressful for most women.
- Post surgery instructions and rehab – vaginal estrogen and pelvic floor physical therapy
- The risk of recurrent prolapse
- When to consider adding a sling to your prolapse procedure
- Just because someone or something said you have prolapse, doesn’t mean you need surgery
MORE ABOUT Dr. Sonya Ephraim, MD, FACOG, FPMRS
Dr. Ephraim is a urogynecologist and the founder of Allure Pelvic Wellness and Aesthetic Gynecology in Deer Park, Illinois, outside of Chicago. She talks about how she decided to go back to do a fellowship in female pelvic medicine.
Find Dr. Ephraim on IG
Dr. Ephraim’s Site
Did you like what you heard?Join my membership to get these episodes ASAP when they are created and without advertisement and even listen live to the interviews and episodes.
P.S. There’s a private Facebook community, guided workbooks, exclusive educational content, and so much more.
THE YOU ARE NOT BROKEN BOOK
Did you get the You Are Not Broken Book yet? Purchase it right here.
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS
This episode is sponsored by Solv Wellness. To get Via, moisturizer for her, visit via4her.com for 30% off your first purchase. Discount automatically applied at checkout.
Sprout Pharmaceuticals addyi.com/
Use code ‘NOTBROKEN’ to get your telemed doctor’s appointment for $10
See full Prescription Information, Med Guide & Boxed Warning for severe low blood pressure & fainting in certain settings: addyi.com/pi
UberLube for 10% off, use code NOTBROKEN at checkout